Google

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Penraker Will Love...

Well, normally I'm not one for the old books. And yet I find, quite oddly, that I hate Socrates and Plato with a passion, yet I find Aristotle quite acceptable. That said, I had been reading the latter's "Nicomachean Ethics" - which my philosophy professor told the class to buy even though we never read it, so I held on to it for summer reading - and I found a passage that would greatly inspire the author of the blog penraker.com:

"For the many naturally obey fear, not shame; they avoid what is base because of the penalties, not because it is disgraceful. For since they live by thier feelings, they pursue their proper pleasures and the sources of them, and avoid the opposed pains, and have not even a notion of what is fine and [hence] truly pleasant, since they have had no taste of it."
- (Aristotle, X9-1179b)

i.e., Says I, this means in today's society that people generally pursue the good feeling of orgasms while simultaneously avoiding pregnancy - the whole point of sex, not the other way around. People today are destroying the future generations in favor of "feeling good" now, because of the pleasant feeling following the plateau stage of intercourse. This, of course, boils down to the ethical/moral dilemma of the lack of care for our children, which is of course a major focusing point of penraker's blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home